Spring Cleaning Checklist
This winter has been absolutely brutal in most of these United States. So, let’s shift our thoughts to warmer things, like that pond of yours. Now is a good time to go through your spring cleaning checklist so you can hit the ground running come that first break of warm weather.
Remember these important steps:
- Check your pond for any areas that may require repairs, such as rocks that have displaced, a tear in the liner, and broken piping or valves.
- Remove any accumulated debris from the pond bottom and surface.
- Remove and dry your de-icer (if applicable), inspect it, then store properly for next season.
- Inspect and replace hoses, and tighten any fittings that are leaking.
- Start up your pump and filter in shallow water to ensure everything is working properly (there’s nothing worse than putting it the bottom of the pond only to discover you need to take it out again).
- Replace up to 25% of the pond water with tap water. Remember to add a water conditioner to remove chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals found in most tap water.
- Take a good look at your fish. Examine their activity, ensure they are not struggling or swimming oddly, and inspect their fins and scales to ensure they are healthy. Begin feeding according to seasonal feeding cycle.
For more from Tetra’s latest newsletter, click here!