This time of year it’s fun to head out on the water with our pets in tow. If you’re planning to take your dog boating, rafting or paddle boarding, take the safe route and make sure your pet is wearing a floatation device like those made by Ezy Dog. We have these in the store and can help you with sizes and fit, but here’s a video from Ezy Dog to explain it too:
Did you know that panting is the only way dogs can cool themselves off?
They don’t sweat like we do; in the heat of summer sometimes panting
just isn’t enough. Here are a few suggestions on how to keep your pet
•Make sure to provide plenty of water. An automatic waterer can
be useful for outside dogs, but even so, make sure in the summer to
change it often so that it stays clean, fresh and cold.
• NEVER leave your dog in a hot car, even for a few minutes.
Honestly if you’re running errands, it’s probably best to just leave
Fido at home.
•Protect dogs with white or light colored fur as they can
actually get sunburnt. Put SPF 15 sunscreen on their ears and nose to
help combat that.
• Watch for signs of heatstroke. If you’re exercising with your
pet, try to do so in the cooler morning or evening hours.
• Take your dog swimming! Play water fetch with floating frisbees or other toys and truly help your dog stay cool.
• If you can, for outside dogs, invest in products like a
cooling pad or gel pet mats, or even just provide a children’s sized
swimming pool for pets to lie in. Even a nice shaded spot will help.
• There are cold chew toys available for pets as well. Stop in J&M Aquatics and Pet Center and let us help!